Also known as gastroenteritis, the stomach flu is often caused by stomach bacteria, toxins, parasites, and viruses, that cause diarrhea-like symptoms and stomach pain.
When struck with gastroenteritis, the GI tract becomes infected, and multiple activities from the virus cause diarrhea. Gut cells called enterocytes then get destroyed, which causes malabsorption. The virus can also disrupt the reabsorption of water and induce secretory diarrhea, which is responsible for loose liquid stools. Abdominal pain or cramping, nausea, vomiting, fever, headaches, and body aches follow.
You’re more likely to get it if you’re in a place where lots of people share living or dining spaces, such as daycare, camps, nursing homes, dormitories, military bases, prisons, wards, and cruise ships. Those who travel to less-developed countries, as well as those who are immunocompromised are also at risk of the stomach virus.
Before it gets worse, make sure to visit our urgent care clinic in Sebastopol, California, to receive appropriate care.
As a health care clinic, we suggest doing the following to prevent stomach flu in the future:
- Practice good handwashing before and after eating or handling food
- Clean kitchen and dining surfaces with disinfectant
- Never eat raw or undercooked meats, eggs, shellfish, and poultry
- Separate the aforementioned raw foods away from those that are usually eaten raw
- Consume pasteurized dairy products
- Only drink bottled water when traveling
- Never prepare food for others when you’re sick and after the symptoms have gone
- Clean sick areas
Progressive Urgent Care – Sebastopol offers immediate or after-hours care 7 days a week. We treat injuries, painful infections, stomach complaints, fever, respiratory issues, etc.